January 30, 2006

age

Some say age is just a number. People older than I am have made that statement. They are also very wealthy. What does wealth have to do with age? They are not trying to secure their financial future.

I have this fear of getting old and washed up and no longer powerful in my industry. Never mind that every year, my hairdressing business grows and it appears I have still not topped out my potential. Never mind my clients adore me and get in a wad when I leave for vacation.

All indicators are that they respect and count on me. So, what is my problem?

Fear. I have often commented Fear is a lying counselor. So, why do I listen to him? I fight him every day. I count my facial lines like some people count their stock portfolio. I most likely will begin some sort of cosmetic surgery strategy soon. That is, once I sell my country "estate"!!

I actually lied about my age when I began this blog. I blanched when my blog said my Chinese astrological sign was the Rat. In fact, mine is the Monkey. Not just a Monkey, but the Fire Monkey. I like what he represents. Quick wits, mental dexterity, able to dance rings around everyone else, huge sense of fun, loves new experiences, delights in jokes, nosy (insatiable curiosity sounds better!), they have great imagination, intuition, full of goodwill, good at problem solving. . .

Okay, the Rat possesses wonderful characteristics, but I am a true Monkey. So, loyalty to my inner being compelled me to 'fess up that I am nearing the big 50.

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want, He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters. . . I will fear no evil. . surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. . ."

So, WHAT am I worried about? I am going to listen to the confidences of my faith, my family and my peers and not heed the voice of Fear. I am sure he is no Fire Monkey anyway!

1 comment:

David Tellez said...

When you listen to fear, it only makes you stronger, because then you realize how capable you are of fighting it.