April 19, 2006

big


(Another chapter from my book, MA, this one about Tremendous Tim.)


Once, Daddy had a big paint business.


I knew it wuz big 'cuz he bought Ma a big house, big cars, her side of the closet wuz filled with skads o' clothes ('specially fancy sweaters) an' even Daddy bought lots o' shoes for hisself.

Ma used to hang up the phone an' say to me, "We gotta pray, Daddy's got some big problems at work." But then, ever'than' 'bout Daddy wuz big to me. He had a big heart an' he gave big gifts. I loved crawlin' up in his arms an' snugglin' into his big chest.

Soon after Daddy took sick, Ma set me down an' said she wuz doin' all she could, but thet at 15 years, I wuz gonna hafta earn all my own money. She said, "I kin give you a bed to sleep in an' food on yer plate, but you an' I gotta pull together so we don't lose this house."

Daddy din't paint no more. He even stopped pointin' out "his" buildin's as we drove 'round town.

Ma wuz strong - she jest kept workin'. She got thinner an' thinner.

One day, we all drove out to Daddy's office. Later, I'd find out, it wuz fer the last time. They wuz a'goin' through thangs, really throwin' ever'than' out, or so it seemed. Daddy looked sad, frail-like.

Ma come up missin' fer a while. I found her out back, standin' thar, lookin' at all Daddy's paint trucks, cryin' like her heart would break. "All his dreams. . . " wuz all she could choke out. Why did Ma's tears make me feel the way thet they did?

Next thang I know'd, she had gathered herself up an' wuz back at his side, hard at work.

I learned thet year thet a "fire sale" has nothin' to do with somethan' actually burnin' up, an' thet where a man works has a big bunch of his heart in it.

It took some time spent in them church meetin's, but Daddy started goin' after his Father's business an' seemed like earthly thangs din't take so much space in his heart. He wuz after thet Big House in Heaven.

17 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

It's his. But he ain't movin' yet for a good while!

B.A. said...

The comment you made on my story about - "pitiful Prissy to Purposed Patton?" Well, you just proved it with your recent story. Doesn't mean we wanta be, just shows we have to be.

Alison said...

You made me tear up before 9 a.m. Reading this, I remembered how I felt when my Dad found out he had cancer and lost his job. I had never really thouhgt before about how hard it really must have been on my mother. Your writing really captures emotion so well. You are such a strong woman.

P.S.- thanks for the BLAB info. I missed the show due to work, but had my friend tune in and she was able to give me the salon name.

Candy Minx said...

Ooh that was some tough writing. I felt so much thinking about mama gone missing but she was out back and feeling.

Louisiana said...

your writting is so beautiful, it touches my heart deeply, it's full of emotion and i feel 'it' as well...Hugs from me to you

Anonymous said...

shes amazin, eh TT?

Cherrypie said...

That's some powerful writin' you got goin' there, Hattigrace. xx

Jada's Gigi said...

Oh Hattigrace! How wonderful! You are really writing a book I hope!

Musicgirl said...

I was excited to see if you had written anything new... I was certainly not dissappointed! :)

Gardenia said...

yer incredibly talented, gal.

Buffy said...

So, where can one buy a copy of Ma?

Anonymous said...

u no wot hattiegrace he looks so happy n its prolly all ur fault

AnnJay said...

To Tremendous Tim...

David Tellez said...

Yeah, where can we buy a copy of this book? And I wonder...why you chose to write from your daughter's eyes, rather than your own.

Heidi Grether said...

DT

Read last MA entry to see why I wrote in my daughter's voice.

Thannx, hg

rauf said...

Very touching Hattigrace.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Hi HG. Debs really goin' this time. Not due to a problem. Just the hassle of bloggin' n home schoolin' n stuff I think. She's leavin' the blog there so maybe she'll come back someday. I'll miss her big time. Say t'ra to her if you get a mo.