February 4, 2007

promises

My friend asked me and TT to be god-parents to her two children B (7 yr old boy) and D (4 yr old girl). She is a new friend, sister to S, who has been a major part of my life for the past year. Sister just moved here in December.

I love her and adore her children. They all love God and are true blue people. I don't want to disappoint them. I have a habit of that. I seem to make promises and then forget I have made them.

Like I have another friend and when she and her son were confirmed, I know he had picked another couple to be his god-parents, but cannot remember if he also had picked us, too. I know we love him dearly.

TT and I got busy with buying a house, remodeling, moving, etc, etc, etc. . . and slowly, we let them drift out of our lives.

Then there are all the kids that used to live next to us in the country. The two older ones call me about twice a year for me to do their hair (at special friend's rate!). I love hearing from them. They don't have a phone at home, no cell phone, no way for me to stay in touch.

The little kids have a more tragic story. Their parents divorced and their mother has been running with an ex-con with a violent record. The kids have lived in about five different places and of course, no phone numbers. Why am I not hunting them down? My own life gets so crowded. What a pathetic excuse.

Then there is my newest child commitment, my god-daughter, child of my best friend from high school. They used to live in England. This fall they moved to North Carolina. How many cards, notes or letters have I sent her? Oi. I am embarrassed.

Now, we do chat on phone every so often. Thankfully, she just got her own email address. I do well with email. She just told me what a good god-mother I am. For what?

So, now, there are two more lives looking to me/us. Right now, I am present with them. How do I know I will do this one differently and stay present?

All I know is this, I am very thankful that God is not as forgetful or preoccuppied as I am, that He never forgets me or forgets His promises to me. I pray He helps me be more like Him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HG life is busy and people know that. I imagine that people see that you are caring and kind and a good friend - a friend who will be there when really needed. My God father moved to Saudi Arabia and for a long time did';nt write, but he has been there for me as an adult when I needed someone (My Dad's death and mothers illness) HE has been there when it counts.

Jada's Gigi said...

Kids are pretty easy really..give them a few hugs, a call or two, send a little gift now and then...they just thrive on the added attention...as a god-parent you can give that little extra that mom and dad can't because they are busy making a living...:)and your little bit seems so much bigger to the kid because it is rarer. with kids, especially not your own...a little seems to go a long way.

FOUR DINNERS said...

You forget 'cause you've a busy life babe. No probs. I forget 'cause of beer I think. Caz calls me Al - short for Alzheimers

Gardenia said...

hattigrace, i had a similar experience in WY at my mom's house - nephew lives downstairs - washer is downstairs - I went down to wash while he was at work - and found myself crying and weeping for him - (I don't know why I felt so overwhelmed with - something -) and then I spent the day grieving that I had not given him the love I could have given him, the hugs, the time, the interest.....now he speaks in grunts.

good news - i'm here!!! yeh, here!!!! Let's do get together -

Buffy said...

Just wondering how things are....