November 26, 2006

Clean

You just never know what will set me off these days! Got up Friday morning after Thanksgiving and it was a beaut of a day. Clear, blue skies, breezy and balmy. I was planning on knitting and resting. . .

TT likes the house all closed up. I hate it. I love the curtains OPEN and the windows OPEN. Well, when I started slinging curtains and windows, I saw. . . I mean I really saw. . . IT.

Where does dirt come from? I mean, black nasty dirt? I was so shocked to really see how dirty my window treatments were. My white curtains looked like they had gone for a ten mile trek over the Pensacola News Journal. They were disgusting.

Now, in our back room, the Family Room, we only have twenty-two windows and a sliding glass door. Yeah, so with the white shears and the red burlappy over curtains, there is fabric for twenty four windows. (The math is not working because half the windows are in the library wing of the room and they have bamboo blinds that I painted barnyard red!)

Add to that pile of fabric the curtains in TT's den, in the front parlor and my bathroom. . . as you can imagine, I washed all day long.

TT vacuumed. The kind of move-all-the-furniture vacuuming. The water from our Rainbow vacuum looked like a furry mud puddle!

Amazing how good the house feels and how clean the window treatments are. They are nearly sparkling.

The other part of "clean" is sad. I had to give Biscuit back to Daughter. I love that cat and have had the joy of taking care of her for a year. But my lungs/sinuses have been letting me know loud and clear that her dander and hair are toxic to them. After coughing all night since letting her back inside, I had to concede.

I am fifty years old and I cried over losing the daily pleasure of her company. My heart just hurt. TT was so good to her. He would sit with her out on the porch on the nights when the neighbor's (demon) cats came into our yard and attacked her. I mean, he would sit there a couple of HOURS!

So, our house is clean. And frightfully quiet.

P.S. I am already researching teacup dogs that do not shed. I just don't like life without a pet. (And we cannot have an outside cat because of the demon cats across the street.) Any suggestions?

9 comments:

Louisiana said...

my enemy in the house dirty business is dust. no matter how much we wipe, it seems that the dust fairy comes right behind and leaves me another bag full. i fired her already but she loves it here too much i guess ;)

clean feels good and smell even nicer. i can imagine how good you felt after all that work. hope your back didn't give out on you.

i'm so sorry you are so sad about Biscuit. you guys bonded with her and now you are grieving. i kiss your heart better. i do hope that you can find a dog that won't shed so that you have the cuddles and comfort of a pet. i have no suggestions, the kids would love a pet too but we can't with my inmune system and Keka's and my asthma and allergies..

hope you find something soon. be well.

Jada's Gigi said...

Why is it that we seem to end up spending every lovely moment working either inside or out...I just don't know...except that we work (outside the home) so we don't have much time for anything else...
I do love clean and orderly...somedy I'm gonna get it all done at the same time...yeah, right...:)

Gardenia said...

Your house sounds so pretty - I have long wanted yards and yards of billowing white curtains....I love that clean feeling too! I have tons of blinds that need cleaned when I go home, ugh! Black dirt there - red dirt here.

I slept most of the holiday and felt really good yesterday, now am back at work and have tingling sensations running up and down my arms, tummy...stress, I'm sure...my back feels pretty good.

Jocelyn has a friend that has a teacup chihauha coming up - its still being bottle bed - it was born via ceasarean - this is testing my spelling - email me and I'll give you J's cell # if you think you'd be interested - J almost went over the edge and got it, but the thought of housebreaking and getting up all night finally made up her mind...
plus trying to get the ends of the yard fenced so it could go out and poo - AND with cats it would probably be a zoo as Chi's think the whole world, including cats and humans should be subservient to their hauty ways. She said it was the cutest thing she had ever seen, tho!

so sorry about Biscuit - cats are cool because they are so much less labor intensive than dogs (my mother has four dogs and is up and down all night letting them in and out - oi!) and spends $300 a month at the vet..but when I let my cat in the bedroom, I too, can't breathe. Anyway, if it helps, at least Biscuit will still be in the family!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Yer sound just like Caz with all that cleaning!! (Don't tell anyone but I run the hoover round for her n all. Keeps 'em sweet eh TT?)

Yer could always take on a feral cat from a rescue place. All our 'home' cats are feral. They've learned to trust us but attack other cats, dogs and strangers on site. Great fun if we get any unwelcome guests. Mind you they'd shed like any other.

I'm actually allergic to cats. Really! When we got the first two and we realised Caz said "Well you'd better sort it then as the cats aren't going anywhere!"

I took Triludan hay fever tablets for 3 months and 20 odd years later no allergy. It's still there 'cause if I mess with 'em and get a scratch it comes up in a little lump but no sneezing or irritation or wheezing or owt since. Give it a go?

Anonymous said...

never heard of 'teacup' dogs? My friend breeds labradors and 'labradoodles' (lab x poodle) apparently poodles don't shed like other dogs.
I love pale colurs, we finished our house last, I'm still makingcurtains, they're cream, the walls are cream, the sofa's are cream... not really one of my best ideas in a house with 4 kids, 4 cats & one big dog :0)

Amanda

Furtheron said...

Cleaning - what's that? Don't the magic fairies come and do that when I'm not about? :-)

My wife cleans on Fridays as she doesn't work then most weeks. This week I took her Christmas shopping - (Hey just realised that was USA black Friday but I was in the UK doing it - weird) so she couldn't to the cleaning. I thought she was going to go mad Saturday she had to be up early and going mad at it to get done to go to see my daughters play just before lunchtime.

Women - crazy.... It's only dirt.... ;-)

David Tellez said...

Yes! I have a suggestion! What about a Teacup Yorkie? They are beyond the most cutest dogs in the world and they're so awesome because they look like they have highlights in their fur! Although, they are kinda shaggy, so they might shed...eh, never mind.

Anyways, I find it amusing, or rather, interesting, that you love to have the house all opened up...ME TOO! I love having the blinds and the curtains open, along with the windows. But for some reason, my mother doesnt. She says she doesnt want people looking into our house, which I understand and all (not really, but whatever), but whats the harm in people looking? I mean our house isnt dirty at all since my mother is a neat freak and washes the toilet 17 times a day...even if people are on it, so really, what gives?

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Why don't you get one of those hairless cats...they don't shed.
And a teacup poodle doesn't shed either.

I went at looked at my window treatments too and boy do they need washing too. My husband destroyed my rainbow vacuum cleaner last week and I am furious...but he does do the vacuuming.

shellz said...

Pets are the best thing on earth. They just bring so much joy and unconditional love into your life. Of course you are missing that daily pleasure.

I think the Kennel Association has a list of "hypoallergenic" dogs on it's website...you might wanna check that out...