December 24, 2006

food

Traditions can anchor us to the joyful memories of past family gatherings. I shared our tree trimmings. Tomorrow we will all have stockings. Yes, that's right, the four of us adults have to have stockings hung by the armoire with care. . . filled to overflowing! TT and I since becoming Catholic have been going to the 4:00p.m. Mass. Our Bishop is officiates that service and we would not miss being in his nurturing presence.

My Christmas brunch is a tradition. Every year, I may add something new, but there are certain foods that must be on the table.

Tonight, the table is set and much has been prepared for tomorrow's feast. The traditional dishes are:

Holiday Strata- a breakfast casserole of french bread cubes, milk, eggs, cheese, sausage and spices. Baked it becomes a crusty, cheesy delight, the breakfast version of a great macaroni and cheese. I hope my family does not notice the veggie/soy sausage! I am making exception to my vegetarian, no-dairy lifestyle for Christmas Day, but I just cannot eat dead rotting animal. My eldest sister actually introduced our family to the Breakfast Strata. Over the years, we had many happy gatherings at her home. So this anchors me to my childhood.

Cranberry Kuchen with fresh Whipped Cream- An orange flavored single layer "cake" topped with cranberries cooked in sugar and orange juice, then baked. Oh my, it is a tangy, delicious morning sweet.

Texas Caviar- moving to the lunch side of brunch is this great salsa type dip for tortilla chips made of black eyed peas, chopped tomatoes, avocados, green onions, white corn, cilantra, red wine vinegar and more.

Fresh Fruit Tray- lovely assortment of fruits. This year, I am adding Devonshire Cream as a slightly sweet dip. I'll let you know if that makes it to the "Traditions" list or not. Devonshire Cream is something else my eldest sister made for me, served with scones and tea, of course.

Veggie Tray- I may be the only one who eats brocoli, cauliflower, carrots and celery on Christmas Day, but I have to have something out of the garden daily. I am adding red, yellow, orange and green peppers for color and a store-bought (horrors!) Ranch Dip to the platter tomorrow. Maybe the Ranch will help more of the veggies to be eaten.

Mimosas- A client gave me a lovely bottle of champagne and I have freshy, pulpy orange juice or cranberry juice to top off the stemmed glass of sparkly.

Asssorted homebaked cookies, fudges and candies- Ha! This year, they are all from my caring friends/clients. With "The Move Out of Salon", I hardly have had time to sleep, much less bake.

Pumpkin Pie with fresh Whipped Cream- usually a mere leftover from Christmas Eve dinner, this year I baked the pie just for Brunch. I made one for Thanksgiving and Boyfriend loved it. TT has always bragged on my Pumpkin Pie so when Boy loved it, TT and I decided he was a keeper! More later on his other attributes.

Assorted crackers, cheese balls, dips- again a cheese ball and homemade pepper jelly over creamed cheese were gifts.

Hot Coffee with fresh whipped cream- that is a yummy, fun tradition. Feels so luxurious to plop that cream into the steamy cup and watch it slowly melt.

Hot Tea- my sister has been a tea drinker for years. I have just begun to love the ritual of tea. I usually have a pot both morning and evening. Herbal only, as I am caffeine intolerant.

Lemon Water- Nothing can be plain on Christmas morning, not even the water!

The Kids will arrive at 11:00. We will probably take four hours (or more) to leisurely eat, talk, laugh, and open gifts. We open everything ONE AT A TIME! Every gift has a story.

That is another tradition. . .

Merry Christmas to all! Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
10apen said...

A blessed Christmas to you & your loved ones today! 25/12/06

Anonymous said...

happy christmas hg,tt, dot,bella n tha rest of ur family!
xx
dx3

Camie Vog said...

Merry Christmas (belated) to you and your family.

I took some time off from the computer, and am just now catching up.

Gayzha said...

A merry merry Christmas to you and Happy and Prosperous New Year :)

Furtheron said...

A merry Christmas and a Great New Year in the new salon.

Best of luck with that.

Jada's Gigi said...

What lovely Christmas traditions!! and your new salon sounds absolutely wonderful!! It is so rare to find employers who know how to treat valued employees...God Bless you and yours in the new year...He Reigns!!

Buffy said...

Sounds excellent.

My own TT and I went to midnight mass at a cathedral in Charlotte, NC on Christmas. It was our first Christmas in America together and our first visit to the Cathedral. We got lost on the way back and didn't end up getting home until 3:30am. So we stayed up and teleconferenced with our family in the UK. They were already awake and back from Christmas morning mass so we OPened presents together etc.

Clotted cream and scones made my Christmas tradition list five years ago. With strawberry preserves of course. :)

Hope your day was wonderful. And thank you for your lovely Christmas message. You expressed my own sentiments about you ... exactly. :)

Blessings,
B.

Inihtar said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Wow! You made all that!! I'm impressed!