December 10, 2006

keepsakes

Decorating the tree is always a time of reflection for me. We do not have a "designer" tree! Nearly every ornament has a story.

The angel is from my parent's collection. My favorite Christmas carol was "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and I loved this little tutu clad angel. (Now my favorite is "O Holy Night".)

My eldest sister gave me the egg manger scene when she was in college and I was a single digit! I loved everything she did for me. Not only did she give me really cool gifts, but she always wrote me letters. Can you imagine how special that made me feel? I am in awe that forty some years later, I still have this fragile treasure.

Someone close to our Dot nicknamed her "Peanut", so when we saw this little guy at a craft show, we added him to her ornament collection. I love that she lets us keep him and his brother. When Dot was taking care of Mother, we all learned that Mother's first husband called her "Peanut", too. That made these little guys even more dear!

When Dot was four, I was trying to tough it out in my miserable first marriage. We were so poor, it was stupid. Of course, he could drink every night. . . Anyway, we made these clothspin soldiers and angels to adorn our straggly tree. Remember, Dot and I both love a craft project, so it was a fun endeavor. I look at them with gratitude for how God has bountifully provided for us compared to those meager days.

The snowman and angel were made by Mother's industrious hands. The craft is called "rug hooking", kind of using fabric to "paint" a picture. Mother loved sewing and handling fabrics (see where Dot and I get it?), so this was a delight for her. She used to love telling me she had become the "Happy Hooker"! It was funny because she was a very moral and proper woman. I don't think I ever heard her say a cuss word.

The skinny Santa and Mrs. Santa were also from my parent's ornaments. I always loved them because both my parents were slender and they acted jovial about Christmas!

The beautiful cross is from my middle sister. She and I share in Catholic faith. As our priest said last week, Christmas is really more about welcoming Him everyday into our lives and rejoicing that one day, He will return. So we celebrate not only His birth, but the joy of His life in and around us.

One of my Dot's many talents is playing the piano. She also is a fabby ballet dancer, ballroom dancer, knits, sews, cooks and gives the best natural manicure in town. I stand at the tree and remember her recitals and the times she would bounce into my room, "Mommy, come here, I want to dance for you." Her beauty would make me cry.

Do you love the fishy hairdresser?!! And next to her, the paintbrush teddy bear? How thankful we have been for the simple service talents God gave us to provide for us and our family. Through our clients, our lives have been full of the kindest, smartest, most helpful people. Hard for Tim to have the door closed to his profession. He was one heck of a painter and hard worker. What he does today, he still does with all his heart. That's just who he is.

When we lived in Michigan (until I was 14), we had a oil furnace with the registers in the floor. Mother would set these angel chimes so that every time the furnace turned on, we would hear the sweet chimes.

Mother loved beautiful china, glassware, table linens. She just did not like to cook!! On some vacation, she found these Christmas dishes. Apparently they were quite costly. Always an at-home mom, she was extremely thrifty and respectful of my father's hard work as an accountant. So, she passed the dishes up. Daddy was forever telling her, "If you like it, just buy it because I don't want to hear you kicking yourself for months because you didn't!!" Like Tim, he was very generous. Seems Daddy bought them on the sly! It was a glorious production bringing these beauties to the table each year.

When the wrapping paper is tossed and the dishes are in the dishwasher, Christmas is about love. The love of the Father for His children and the love of His children for each other. And so, the dressing of our tree anchors my heart to that love.

Merry Christmas, dear blogger friends! Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Gardenia said...

What a sweet post! A tree full of memories and stories, this is so precious to pass down, on and on.

I feel bad, so much of my stuff is lost, I even had 1940's ornaments, missionaries had bought so many from other countries, as we traveled from rental to rental in Florida.

Now my daughter puts up a modern, shiny, different theme tree every year. Its pretty, but I miss those that followed me through the years with their stories.

Buffy said...

This reminded me to call my mother and check on all my childhood ornaments....

So many things I kept for years and treasured got lost when I moved away. My mother never really cared as much for the ugly bird of paradise seed Alton Brother gave me or the plastic angel my grandmother and I made. So these things have become lost or broken over the last few years. *Sigh*

I love the photo and hope the holiday season is shaping up wonderful for you.

I left a bit of advice in the comments section of the post on muffy....on my own blog. You've probably already heard it...but just the same...you may want to take a peek. :)

Best Wishes,

B.

ldbug said...

Oh, my parents do the same thing! They have ornaments for every year each with a story going all the way back to when they were first engaged.

merry Christmas:-)

Furtheron said...

We put the tree up yesterday. The old stand was knackered (olde English term for not much use anymore). So I went to get a new one, first one was wrong size DOH!. Still all done now. Always creates an air of stress - Mrs F not too keen on the effort it needs and the mess etc. However it really makes it feel like Christmas now as I sit here with the lights reflecting on the computer screen.

Merry Christmas all.

Inihtar said...

I stumbled onto your blog while "blog-hopping." At a time when Christmas is celebrated so much by rote--the presents HAVE to be bought, the tree HAS to be put up, we HAVE to see the family--it's nice to see so much meaning attached to the rituals.

lavender said...

Merry Christmas to you too, Hattigrace! And an invitation to comment on my 100th post.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

we alwasy has 2 trees 1 that is beautiful n has v fancy glass ormanants in it n has tha christmas train goin round it n tha 1 that has my junk on it thay r mostly marvin tha martian n taz n surfer santas
ps
happy christmas 2 u all r happy hannukah (which starts tha 15th) bcos im 1/2

Anonymous said...

awww lovely post! I really enjoyed that, loved the photos and stories about each ornament.

Jada's Gigi said...

What a lovely post! Our ornaments also have stories and our tree, like yours though not designer...fills our hearts with love and fond memories...thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

With a designer tree all anyone can say is, "Your tree is very Pretty", but with a tree full of precious memory ornaments people will actually step up and take a look at each individual ornament and want to know the story about each one.

These are my favorite kinds of trees...the trees with memories hanging on every branch.

David Tellez said...

Ok, the only complaint, and seriously, only complaint, I have about this post, is that I had to keep scrolling up to admire the ornament you were talking about! LOL...the only complaint!

Other than that...Ms. Hatti Grace, I loved this post! It's so full of special memories and love that it makes me feel really happy for you that God has blessed you in so many ways!

Now as for me, my favorite ornaments are two tiny little toys, a bear with a green vest and hat and a blue snowflake fairy, that are no bigger than my thumb, given to me by my mom. I dont know why, but everytime I look at them, it always brings a smile to my face.

Louisiana said...

i love your tree and i love all the love and memories that it holds. my best type of tree is just like yours..decorations that have a story and has emotions..mine is filled with all sorts of treasures over the years from many school yrs from 5 kids and i love it.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Love this post babe. Got a rocking horse decoration saying 'baby's first Christmas' and a green and silver Christmas tree Jax made when she was about 5. Also a star Jax had made up 2 years ago with me n caz's pic in the middle.

Soz yer'll miss me debut Saturday - then again might be a good thing. Goin out midnight over here I might get a bit naughty!

Talk before Christmas but just in case love n hugs to you n TT n all yer family for Christmas x