December 23, 2006

out

Last night, with the help of TT, Dot, Boyfriend, Assistant and Friend, I am moved out of the old salon. All my "stuff" is at the new salon, waiting for me to organize. I start work again January 2.

The last few weeks were so tough that I felt no sadness moving out. I will miss my close friends a lot. And I will miss the general comraderie I felt with the whole staff. Sadly enough, I am thankful to be away from Owner. He made sure he was as unloveable as possible. Funny, he had said, "You want to leave hating me." I didn't want to.

I still don't. I just feel very, very sorry for him. Always the victim. And always the hero. In his eyes. For the sake of Christian ethic, I won't put into print how he is seen. His hold over his staff is fear. He really showed his colors with my co-worker who got kicked out because after offering him a five-week notice, he demanded she sign a nine-week contract or leave.

That move lost him five weeks of rent and his respect level plummeted into sub-zero.

I don't give up on people very easily. Most of the time, I could see the good in him and even focus on it. I don't believe he premeditatively injures people. He just does. His acid, sarcastic, sexist remarks sting deeply. He laughs and thinks he is so funny. He only amuses himself.

After ten years, I had to admit that he just is not going to change. And the environment was just too toxic. I have to work hard. And I am going to have to work for many years. So why set myself up for unneccessary stress?

Onward to New Salon! New Owner (R from now on!) took all of his staff, including Assistant and me and our spice (plural for spouse??)to a resort. We stayed in elegant condos, had a beautiful "Evening in Tuscany" themed dinner and open bar and brunch the following morning. Our cost? Tipping the valet attendants!!

On top of that, R read the most touching meditation to us from the Old Testament and a devotional about knowing the Blessings that are from God. Dot, Assistant and I were very teary. R knows how to nurture. He understands his power as the owner, that he is like a father and his troups need his affirmations, his blessing, his enthusiasm, his compassion, his leadership.

He still loves doing hair. The salon is a huge part of his life, like it is for the rest of us. He even says, when he has been able to solve a problem for us, "Who's your daddy???" What love.

I know who my Daddy is. He has undergirded me all my life. He led me to Old Salon and blessed my socks off there. And now, He has led me on to New Salon. I feel like my weary and very lonely soul will be healed by being in the company of this caring leadership.

Hope burns very bright in my heart.

I read tomorrow Hebrews 10:5-10. Thanks be to God for all.

5 comments:

L said...

My family went thru a similar situation. It took sometime to get over all the anger we were feeling but now we just laugh and wish we had done it sooner. They are still in the same position, spinning there wheels, never getting anywhere. We've moved on and found friendships and good times else where. Best Wishes to you and your new beginning!!!

Leigh Ann

Anonymous said...

R sounds wonderful. And I love your new 'plural for spouse'.:)

Merry Christmas Darling, to you and all of yours.

B.

Anonymous said...

u will lose a lot of the back pain now that stress is gone! happy christmas 2 u n tt n dot

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you!

Inihtar said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Good for you for seeing the bright side of everything!