July 16, 2006

Blues

I supposed I have always been fascinated with flying. I often have dreams where I spread my arms wide, run across a field and slowly take off in magical flight. I have never crashed.

But I never loved airplanes. Not like TT. He amazes me. We can be in the house and a plane will fly over and he says, "There goes an F-15. . . " or whatever its name is! He reads flight magazines from cover to cover. Sometimes with tears streaming down his face.

See, his daddy was a pilot, and he took TT flying a few times. Since there were 12 children, time alone with the patriarch was precious little. It seems in that plane was a father-son exchange of a more peer-like nature. TT was affirmed as a man. His dad's heart was open and sharing. Sadly, TT lost his dad when he was only 25.

Part of his tears is over that loss. The other is over losing so much of himself from his health traumas. For medical reasons, he can never be a pilot.

Ten years ago, we moved here to Pensacola, home of the Blue Angels. I will never forget November 1996, standing at the Naval Air Station Blue Angel Air Show with TT, hearts pounding with pride, faces wet with tears as we watched those blue giants master the sky and tight companionship. They fly so close it took our breath away.

As they roared and ripped overheard, we stood in awe and gratitude.

Because we have friends with a beach condo, yesterday we braved the beach air show. Dot and Boyfriend set up a darling "taj mahal" gazebo! Armed with plenty of iced water, hats and sunscreen, we waited.



We waited with all of Pensacola, who never tires of admiring her heroes, the Blues. It is gridlock traffic for hours to get to the beach. I believe close to 90,000 people attend the beach show. It feels like that many cars, parked on top of each other and stuck in the sand! Year after year the Blues dance for a full house.


I am a happy spectator.

Except for knowing that inside of TT is a bird whose wings have been clipped.


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cn them guys b4 in el toro there pretty awesome

Heidi Grether said...

TT,
You buy, I am there!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Saw a Vulcan fly at an airshow as a kid. And a Spit n a Hurricane. I've flown in an old byplane - Forget what it was called - when I was 12. Wore an old leather flying hat and goggles. Never forgotten it.

Jada's Gigi said...

Love seeing the Blues fly! My soninlaw is training to be a Navy Pilot but alas I don't think he qualifies for the Angels....He is sad....they are truly a sight to see...
love your new car too. You look absolutely "maaavalous daaling"! :)

Matt said...

I loved going to airshows as well as a kid. I grew up in Michigan and we would travel around the state during the summer and make a point to hit at least one airshow.

Not to lighten the mood, but I found some airshow footage of a Thunderbird accident where the pilot ejected just before crashing. Miraculously he survived with only minor injuries… The footage is in two perspectives, from the ground and a cockpit cam on the pilot. It's quite amazing!

http://videointrigue.blogspot.com/2006/07/airshow-crash.html

David Tellez said...

Same here Ms. Hatti Grace. I mean, I've always been fascinated with flight (and I've had my share of the pushing off the ground and soaring through the air dreams...arent they great?!) but I never really loved airplanes. And I think it's because they were always around me. My dad was a pilot and engineer too. Growing up, I knew what an F-16 was, I knew all the mistakes in the movie Top Gun that I just...well...completely lost interest. But like you, when the Air Show comes to Davis Monthan Air Force Base, I'm there with my dad lookin' up at the planes. Cuz sometimes, it's just nice being there for someone, you know?

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

How fantastic that TT and you got to see the Blue Angels preform in person. That would be AWESOME and you took some great pictures.

Louisiana said...

you love him so much. how great a love is that. he must suffer over the loss of a dream but he has other dreams. you and the daughter. my father loved to fly too. he wanted to be a pilot amongst all the other things he already was. but it never came through for him either. so i can understand a bit of what TT feels like. how wonderful that you all went and had time wathcing so beautiful birds...i love them too. i think they are so exotic and grand. i just don't like to be in them..lol...

tell TT that we send him a hug. to you both love, lots of love. and to you my dear, thank you for loving as deep as you do and for sharing it with us so that we too may share in your joy and learn.

Gardenia said...

I love the Angels! Fortunately when I'm in P'cola, all I have to do is put a lawn chair in the yard, then afterwards, straighten the pictures on my walls! Great photos.

ldbug said...

Well, lots of people can't be pilots, but there are a lot of jobs that are related to flying..is he into that?