July 20, 2006

plot

Early morning exercise, a little breakfast and by 6:30, I am on my bicycle, happily peddling around the first turn. Push, push, push, get up the hill, and ahhhhhh, the nice coast down.

The wind is whistling through my helmet, the birds are singing, it's gonna be a great day.

Then, IT happens. Just as I get to breakneck speed (oh, I hate to say that, even with wearing a helmet!), I see a squirrel, frozen in terror (I imagine anyway) in the middle of the road.

The only thing moving was it's flickering tail. I must be connected to the animal kingdom, because that is when I began smelling danger. So, I squeezed my break handle. Certainly, I thought to myself, it will just start running in the direction it is pointed, which would carry it the rest of the way out of the road.

Maybe it is not that I am so earthy, but there was this certain Geico television commercial. . . no, no, that wouldn't happen to me, would it?

Dang if that squirrel waited until I was one foot away to turn all the way around and run INTO the path of my bike. I swerved and no fatalities or injuries!

I swear, I could here that little rodent chuckling in the bushes.

"Nearly got 'er, din't I??" Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

SoulPony said...

Glad you both made it. I like the picture idea too.

Gardenia said...

ha, I just posted about "Prairie Dogs" - we must be on the same circuit lately -

I was afraid the end of your post would be a story about a bad crash...

mmmm, I will have to find a way to send you one of Jocelyn's rockabilly songs about the "Road Kill Cafe."

Living out here with sooooo much wildlife, ya swear that some of them are Kamakazes, or perhaps the terrorists of the animal kingdom. Ya see rabbits all over the road, rattlesnakes, deer, antelope, dogs, cats, gophers, prairie dogs....(mostly dead.)

Louisiana said...

it sodunds like you are okay and for that i'm relived.
you start your day pretty early and with a bang. so that is why you are so darn energetic!

the thought of the little squirrel laughing in the bush is cute. can you imagine if it was really like that? lol..

take care. no accidents tomorrow morning sweet. hugs.

David Tellez said...

What is it with all these animals nowadays, huh? I'm tellin' ya Ms. Hattigrace, them cute critters have it in for us, and they aint' playin'...

And at least you didnt knock the squirrel with your rear mirror...

shellz said...

Heh heh...I'm convinced that those little squirrels are having a laugh at our expense too. Imagine what it must look like from their point of view - the terror and panic on our faces as we bear down on them!!

Ryane said...

I LOVE the wooden squirrel. That is hilarious...Disney couldn't create a funnier image than the one you painted of you, your bike and that squirrel..

Jada's Gigi said...

Darn little critter! Good you're out on your bike though..:)
Love, love the new do...lower lefthand corner pic is especially great!

Radical One said...

love, love, love the new cut....showing it to tarah now and making my request!!!!!

blessings!
lisa

Anonymous said...

no sailor skwerrils!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Why's it always squirrels?? A fox did that one my way home from nighshift last year. The fox was ok. I was ok. The car had twigs stuck in the wiper blades from me swerving through a bush. I believe two snails resting in the bush were fatalities. Bloody fox!!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I hate it when squirrels do that! I'm glad it didn't cause you to wreck.

Today, a dog limping along in the road in my lane couldn't decide which way it wanted to go. I slowed down, but it still wouldn't move away and I couldn't swerve into the other lane because of an on comming car...so my husband quickly reached over my shoulder and hit the horn several times and scared it out of the way...Whew! I would sure hate to kill someone's pet. Did I mention that my husband is teaching me how to ride a motorcycle?