September 16, 2006

decision

I missed something along the way that could have saved me a lot of anguished hand-wringing. I thought I still had a decision to make about whether I was going to move to the new salon.

For weeks, I have been making mental lists of the strengths and weaknesses of both salons. I felt like that song, "torn between two lovers. . ." because I have a heart attachment to both salons. I have a very hard time saying good bye.

I am also, much to my embarrassment, a very fearful person. I am scared to death "something" will happen and I will fail to keep home and hearth together. I am the back-up plan. So my age scares me, the economy scares me, a new place scares me. Good Lord, I sound afraid of my own shadow!

Last night, we had a porch meeting between my daughter and I. She is never confrontive with me. Until now.

"Mom, to R (owner of new salon) and his staff, you have given your word that you want to move. How can you go back on it?"

"Mom, this is a pattern of yours. You go gung-ho into something new, find something wrong with it and back out."

"It took you TEN years to go to London and see your BEST friend. Every year you would say 'this summer we are going' and then you'd back out. Thank God you went when you did because now she has moved back to the States."

"You would not have gone to Costa Rica if I hadn't forced the issue."

It was hard to listen to. But I had to. Her face was flushed with passion. She loves me. It was an honest, courageous moment for her.

"Dot, why do you want me to make the move, outside of keeping my word?"

"Because I want to see you work in a professional, beautiful environment under the leadership of a man who respects you, has compassion for you, listens to you, likes you. I want you to see you can still grow more, get even more busy, and learn more. I want to see you give this wonderful salon atmosphere to your clients, where they are greeted with a beverage choice in a beautiful stemmed glass. I want to see you blossom."

You would have thought I melted on the spot. I am stubborn.

An hour later, our friends F and S were over. We were discussing things spiritual and we read the Sept 14 devotion . "For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life." The meditation was in praise of Father, Son and Holy Spirit for the plan of salvation and the mercy He has to us fallen creatures.

As I read the devotion aloud to TT and our friends, tears jumped into my eyes because what I was seeing is the Father gave His word, oral and in His Son, and to their own hurt, KEPT their word.

At that very point, keeping my word became an issue of FAITH and the fear melted. My stubborn streak is from fear.

At 9:37 p.m. I texted my Dot, "It's all about faith. I will come with you, my dear daughter. I will keep my word without fear, because He has kept His word to me. My future is in His hands."

All night, I dreamt of decorating options and woke ready to order my new chairs and go to the paint store! My peace and joy have returned.

Thank you Dot.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

put a piccy wen ur finsih decoratin u should b green n blue n lavendar that is hattieg colours in my head

Gardenia said...

I agree with Pup! He came up with a serene color choice too! We want pics!

Your post bought tears to my eyes. Isn't God so super wonderful to give us such wise and brave children?

I am so like you - leave or stay - analyze and analyze and analyze some more -

Your age - ahhhh - more wisdom, and graceful beauty - that should not be a factor but a blessing where ever you go. Remember to tell me where! I am coming mid December!

We all want gracious mentors - but sometimes the fact is those who have this sacred chance are so oblivious of this gift God has placed before them - WE know what they are supposed to do, but they seem dense and fall short. Well, maybe God is truly saying, ok, they had their chance, so now fly away.....

David Tellez said...

Sound to me like you got one smart cookie there for a daughter, Ms. Hatti Grace. And she's right you know?

In life, there are certain events in which we must take chances and take risks. Sure we'll probably make a few mistakes along the way, but without them, what would shape our lives?

If we always followed the safety path and never veer off course, would we ever fall in love and have smart babies, or find the perfect job, or be who we are?

I admit it's tempting to wish for a smooth sailing life, but since we all cant, maybe the best any of us can do is not quit, play the hand we've been dealt, and remember that our lives are already predestined, according to God's will. We just have to trust him.

After all, didnt he once say that he will never leave us or forsake us? So it's comforting to know that if we should ever forget that, he will always send loved ones our way to remind us.

Good luck Ms. Hatti Grace, and seriously...God bless.

Anonymous said...

grey is neutral u can deffo put blue n green n lavaender wi it:o)

Anonymous said...

The truth set you free! It sounds like your excitement and the creative revival you were experiencing when you first started talking about moving has come back! Ms. Hattie Grace, God will continue to bless you abundantly in your business no matter where you go. Your amazing talent and ministering heart will always draw a huge following, even if you were to work out of your garage! :) I think you should look at this beautiful new atmosphere you will be entering into as a gift to you. God knows the desires of your heart!

Heidi Grether said...

So good to hear from you Tess! Thank you for your encouragement.

Thank ALL of you, you all are great!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Best wishes to your move. It's so nice that you can discuss things with your daughter and I love your faith in God.

Jada's Gigi said...

Praise the Lord! Congratulations, victory over fear is always worth celebrating...one of these days I'm gonna come see your new place...

Diane Viere said...

WOW! What a great daughter you have! And what a great Father you serve!

Peace and joy.......

Diane

Buffy said...

A very wise lady once told me "Buffy, fear is a liar." I believed it.

Her name was Heidi.

Gina said...

That's beautiful. Congratulations. I just saw a quote on another blog: "Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like [heck]". Good advice. Then we won't be lying on our deathbeds regretting. What kind of commenter am I, using heck and deathbed in one post? LOL Maybe I should stop now. Anyway, very cool and congrats!

Furtheron said...

If you have faith why have fear?

Whatever happens is destined to happen - you have a choice on what path to take, but you have that in everything. Cup of coffee or tea? Which blog to read or not?

So do think about the obvious consequences and any action - but then listen to your heart, faith and your intuition. It'll normally steer you right.

Now all I have to do is follow some of that advice myself sometimes :-)

MYSTIC said...

Last time I dropped in you were in the dumps, this time you were preplexed about decisions you had not made...thank goodness you have a wise daughter...God does move in mysterious ways His wonders to perform. Posted some Blues shots for you.
PS..I found you by way of NZ thru Wyoming..just surfing.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Nice one Dot. Beverage choice eh? Does that include vodka? I'm there.

Be brave babe. You've the talent so get to it! No worries.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lavender said...

Take courage & don't look back. Wishing you well!

shellz said...

Congratulations Hattigrace. I'm glad you have come to a place of peace and clarity. Isn't it just the best feeling after all the turmoil?! And what a wise and wonderful daughter you must have...but it also takes a wise and humble mother to actually listen...light and blessings to both of you...

B.A. said...

This opened my eyes. I've been writing for many years but fear of rejection has not allowed me to ever submit anything to anybody. Fear easily becomes a great and familiar companion. But in reality it has taken over and has become my jailer. I'm glad you have been breaking free!

Louisiana said...

you are at peace. good. remember your strenghts. you are a force of love and goodness. good always wins over evil.

you have a wonderful family. they have a wonderful you. hang unto each other for that is all you really need.

can't wait to see pics of your new decor. you will make it be beautiful and elegant and fun.

congratulations.

love you.