September 30, 2006

pearls

There is something about pearls. TT and I went to the theatre, and I layered on the pearls. Wore a shirred black v-necked top over a breezy black chiffon skirt and Nine West black kitten heels(big owie on the back!). Dot said, "Mom, you look really nice!" She even sounded a titch green.

I don't like just one plain strand. Makes me feel like Barbara Bush. I never could understand why she did not listen to the stylists and cover that grey and spice it up a bit. You know, back in the day when she looked like the President's mother? Now they match. She most likely was very secure and felt no need for all that vanity.

Call me shallow, but vanity is my life. I work in front of a mirror and am backed by countless trend tutoring publications. Vogue, Lucky, Cosmo, InStyle, W. . . to name a few.

Fashion is so cyclical. Just a few years ago, I was chortling over hang-ons that insisted on wearing a BOB! Now it is the hottest "new" trend going. I have been predicting the return of Caucasion afros! Don't laugh!!!!

But pearls. The timeless feminine statement of elegance and a touch of vulnerability. Why else would Jesus say, ". . . the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it."? (Mt 13)

Fabulous multi-generational connection. We can don our grandmother's strand, our mother's strand, spice it up with today's version, swish into a room and . . .

. . . you finish the sentence!!! Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Gardenia said...

and....say "..............when is the flight to Paris, darling?"

They look stunning.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

and be ever so stylish.

I love multiple strands of pearls.

FOUR DINNERS said...

and...say "Help! Me pearls have broke" then fall over after stepping on one. That happened to The Dragon when I was about 9. Hysterical.

Anonymous said...

aaarrrrrrrrrr its me teeth!