October 28, 2006

Mountains

My daughter says I am a mountain climber, that I am not happy unless I am tackling a huge task. Hmmmmm, is she right?

Let's see.

I am moving my business during the holidays. I haven't moved salons for ten years.

I am in the middle of twenty back decompression therapy treatments. I go at 7:45 a.m. five days a week. (It seems to be working, thank God- literally!)

Five and one half weeks ago, I stopped smoking. I also stopped abusing alcohol. I have a couple a couple times a week, at the very most. I am not coughing as much and my wino tummy is significantly reduced!

I have reconnected with my first love, my Lord and Savior and am learning to live from a loving Christ-centered perspective, instead of wandering around aimlessly and fearfully.

I just found out our homeowner's insurance will increase to $4900 a year. Two years ago, it was $795 a year. I will begin the fight to find a more reasonable rate.

So, doesn't it seem about time for me to take on a new project? Why not go VEGAN right before the holidays?!

Okay, this is what happened. I go into the breakroom and one of my friends is reading the SKINNY BITCH book. She and I share enthusiasm for eating like Peter Rabbit. I read a couple of lines and chortle over the sarcastic humor of the authors and decide some more such amusement would help my stress level.

Oi. I was not prepared. Chapter Four, "The Dead, Rotting, Decomposing Flesh Diet" shook me up. Chapter Six, "You Are What You Eat" knocked the air out of me. And Chapter Nine, "Have No Faith: Governmental Agencies Don't Give a Shit About Your Health" finished me off. (BTW, for those in Europe, you don't have the same issues. You don't have the animal cruelty and pesticide and preservative problems we have in our "progressive" U. S. society!)
So, the cover was simply a front. Using my vanity, the authors hoodwinked me into the true intent of their book, which was to save my life.

"Hey, TT, I am reading this great, funny book. Wanna read it after me?"

"Sure HG. I always love to read what you read."

I love my husband. Next day.

"I stayed up half the night reading. HG, I have to tell you, I cried over Chapter Six, 'You Are What You Eat.' I feel so bad I ever ate one hamburger or one chicken wing. We live in a barbaric country and I have been a part of it."

He has been a beef addict. Any time he came up missing, all I had to do was drive to Wendy's and there he was, salivating over his ninety-nine cent piece of a dead cow.

See why I love him? What a heart. This is as big as me quitting smoking and not getting loopy every night.

So, I went to the health food store today and bought every soy and veggie meat substitute I could find. Y'all please pray for his taste buds. He is really being a great sport.

And we have both been cheese addicts, ice cream nuts, eggies, the whole dairy bit. (Chapter Five, "The Dairy Disaster")

I have eaten vegan before. I got really thin. Not sick looking. Yeah, I was the Bitch, the Skinny Bitch!! It was fun. I could eat mountains of the approved foods and not gain an ounce and felt GREAT!!!

But this was a lot to throw at TT, right before the holidays. Hey, I get tired of climbing mountains alone! Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Buffy said...

About a year ago I began making an effort to eat clean. Partly because I adore Michael Thurmond, mostly because my trainer (a vegan) handed me literature on how red meat can stay in the gut for a year.

I still stick to this...loosely. Because I just feel soooo much better. The great thing is I've isolated migraine triggers (monosodium glutamate...does it every time..)...which in turn seemed to help me isolate siezure triggers.

Like I said...I still stick to this loosely. I'm not hard core 'clean'. I don't have the discipline. I'll eat whatever when I'm at someone's house or eating out....but when I go shopping...I stay far away from animal fats and anything boxed/canned/jarred or frozen. Our bodies are suppose to be temples. not chemical filters.

p.s.
HG-I'm off to pick up the skinny book now. You've intrigued me.

p.p.s
Try Quorn, TT.

Gardenia said...

I would have to read your blog right in the middle of making my lamb chops - crispy outside with garlic & peppercorns, pinky inside. Sob.

What a sweet post from Tim - laughing about the stones. Yes, lets hope for no stone loss. :)

Me too on the Skinny book - sales are going up!

Moving during the holidays? Owww.
Keep me posted, love. I am coming if I can walk. (see my post) I may need some info on your treatments.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Let us know how you are doing on this vegan way of eating in about a year. I love veggies and hate meat except shrimp...my downfall, but I'm not skinny.

Furtheron said...

Good for you. I'm too lazy in all this - plus I do thing there's a load of rot talked about this stuff.

One of my colleagues is into all this healthy food etc. he has the worst sickness record in the department....????

Also I pointed to him to look at the devestation being wreked in the Amazon rainforest due to soy plantations...

Too difficult sometimes too always be on the "right" side isn't it?

FOUR DINNERS said...

I could never forego me bacon butties. Or me chicken vindaloo. Or Caz's home made spaghetti bolognese. No willpower that's me.

Need to lose half a stone again but Vegan??

Caz gave me a salad for dinner when I was dieting. I said it was lovely. She said "Well it would be after you put 8 potatos, 3 slices of ham, 2 slices of beef, 2 chicken legs and a meat samosa on it!!"

Gardenia said...

Hey, I just went to Amazon and previewed the book. The authors talk just like my friend, Allene. ("....makes your breath smell like ass...") I was cracking up, and not feeling too insulted. Oh, so far my heart says they are right - I am now thoroughly addicted to caffiene - and the doctor informed me after this last MRI there is some bone loss beginning. Oooops. If its just beginning though at my age, that's not too bad - my geneology tells me I've got 30 more to live, so guess I'd better give up my diet cokes. I'm going to order a book payday for myself, and two for daughters.

I've finally found a health food source, actually two of them over in the town my mother is in - only 125 miles away...but better that than none at all.

One year Jocey made a Tofurky from scratch for Thanksgiving. Well, I thought it was great with the vegan gravy, but my then son-in-law would not come back for Thanksgiving no mo' There is or was a vegetarian group in your town several years ago - it was fun - AND, it's fun sculpturing your own turkey!

Love those blue corn chips! I've been getting Ezekial Bread (sprouted grain) - its great! I keep it frozen and get a slice out when I want it. I don't get the ick feeling when eating regular bread. I think it's the '49. When you get it, make sure it's frozen so it'll be fresh.

I'm going to see if I can vacumn. Got prayed for at church, laying on of hands, the whole works.

Then I have to get a missions group organized - several of them.

About 9 more days until elections. Just got my hair cut - don't know what to think. Guess it'll have some length to fool with when I come there.

Joc has a great, hearty recipe for vegan burritos - for a while we were into making our own "cheese" - too much work...

enough - gotta get busy ----