October 14, 2007

art

Friday night we all went to the Art Museum for the Duane Hanson- Real Life opening reception. The kids love art. Their mama loves art. And TT and I love art!

I worked all last weekend on my sewing room/office to transform it into my office/studio because I have decided to. . . . GO TO COLLEGE!!!!! Yup. I am going tomorrow (God willing, that is) to register for January! Going for my AA in Studio Arts. Who knows, I may not stay that course. I do love to write. I actually have many interests. But will start with Studio Art degree.

I only took one semester of college. My parents did not encourage higher education. Funny, because I think my father went for four years to become an accountant.

Mother got her MRS degree twice. She married her high school sweetheart, but was widowed near the end of WW2. She had my eldest sis by her first. He never got to see his baby girl. Died when she was only four months old. Then, when Eldest was four, Mother married my father.

At any rate, it worked for them for her to stay home, raise us girls, refinish antique furniture, quilt, hook rugs, embroider and knit. That seems like a dream world, huh? She always referred to people who did not possess her "common sense" as "educated nit-wits". And Daddy seemed to slight the "college boys".

Whatever, I did not get it that college would help me. Passed that erroneousness on to my Dot, who really would have loved a higher education. Oi.

I don't know why the bug has bit me at this stage in life, but it really has. I did some online lessons in algebra and I floated the whole next day from solving one equation!!!

I know this, I want our god-children to go to college. I am already instilling that plan in their trusting brains.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Gardenia said...

How exciting for you! A whole new world is opening up. What courses are in studio arts? My parents too, always discouraged college - looked down on people with degrees - I thought it was a Wyoming thing.

I found the years I've spent in college have been the most fulfilling of my life.

Now my mother is proud of me - its a matter of choices, but don't you wish we would have had equal opportunity to choose!

It would've been nice to do the whole vine covered cottage thing, but life most usually doesn't allow it.

Well, its a new day! A new thing! You'll not regret it. D is young, if she wants, she can do a couple classes at a time, and before she knew it, she'd have a degree. Its never too late!

Studio classes take a lot of time, but I found somehow that God saw me through working, classes, and even part time jobs on top of that! Oh, I'm sooooooooo excited for you.

I will be dropping by probably to bring your puppy (bromeliad).

Gardenia said...

Don't mean to take up too much comment space, but you are such a good Godmother - your input into these children's lives will be part of their building blocks forever - and you do such cool things with them!

FOUR DINNERS said...

College??!! You go girl!

Party's, Booze, Dope, more party's

You'll have a ball!!

I think I'll ask Caz if I can go to one n all...

Admin said...

Good for you! A new chapter in life!

Anonymous said...

has fun m never goin

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous! I miss you so much!!