October 22, 2007

Second Class


I am loving my Monday night painting class!

After tracing the entire painting onto the canvas (which was quite a long process itself!), my first assignment was to paint darks and lights.

First, I was instructed to paint a wash over the entire canvas of Yellow Ochre for warmth.

Then used varying intensities of black and water for all the darks. The teacher taught me to squint, looking at the original to see only the "value", or dark and light. Then, I was to duplicate that on mine. Blocking in the major shapes in this manner is called a "layin".

Next, she wants me to begin in the upper left hand corner applying color. Because I am right handed, I won't be smudging my work.

I hope I get some time this week to work on this!

P.S. I have been working on my math skills. My first "test" to see what I am learning I got an 86 on! Not too bad considering I haven't had any math for 34 years!! Hahahaha!

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Now that is lookin' gooooood...

What's math?

Anonymous said...

Hatti grace I really love the painting :0)

Gardenia said...

How exciting! Look how much you've accomplished already! Super exciting! Oh, you are going to be light years ahead of me soon!

No one told me you could get study guides and pretests to take the entrance exams! You will go in ready to knock 'em dead!

What an adventure! This will be life changing! Can't wait for you to start taking studio courses - I have a feeling that whatever you touch will turn into "gold" so to speak - that is that you will be talented in many mediums.

Won't be long until school starts. Take a look at the curtains in the art building....I LOVE that building, the smells - the sound -

so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

it looks really good hattie g

Furtheron said...

That looks stonkingly good to me.

Biddie said...

Fantastic work, Hattiegrace!
Math? ~shudders~

Jada's Gigi said...

so glad you are all safe from the storm...go girl on the math! :)

Vicki said...

Oh, I like I like!! I am in awe of you artistic ones!
Sigh,
D was the one with good grades, smart in math..she used to paint Christmas pictures for the school windows.
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

i cant do math at all that brain function dun work neways in college u can take dumdum math my da says o ps good luck on it