October 15, 2007

first class

First painting class tonight with Valerie Aune . This is not college, but an artist who teaches five students at a time in her home studio. She is fabulous!! I was cross-eyed, trying to mix paint to match house paint swatches, and spots in a magazine picture she had circled!

She starts by having us copy a master's painting. Says that many lessons are in copying. As much as a pianist first learns to play by playing other people's music before he begins composing his own.

So, I selected John Singer Sargent's "Street in Venice", 1882. I thought she kind of resembled me and one day, I want to go to Italy.

I know I started a separate art blog, but it is all meshing together for right now. I will use that to display my finished work, but I guess you all are going to go through the agony of the process with me!

TT said I had shining eyes from the class. I really like her style of teaching. Hope I will be able to continue with her once I start college.

8 comments:

Gardenia said...

I love the picture - yes, I was disoriented a moment, because she looks like you walking down that street.

I too have been sighing to go to Italy - one of my cousin's boys went over to study art, married an Italian girl and never came back.

Have fun with the classes - yes, there is something that induces a high when painting in class with other people - some sort of synergy stirs up and its a feeling that makes you actually "art high!"

Anonymous said...

u can arrange ur classes how u wanna take m u no gl on it all

Furtheron said...

I thought you'd painted that. Blimey... Oh no right I understand now... DOH!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying art :0) Have fun Hatti Grace.

Biddie said...

How wonderful! I wish that I had half of the talent that you and gardenia do! Really!
Have tonnes of fun. Will you show us the finished painting?

FOUR DINNERS said...

Can't wait to see your interpretation. Like what you've done up to now lots. Talented babe aren't yer?!

Admin said...

I do love it. You have talent!

Jada's Gigi said...

I can't believe you are going back to school!!! HOw exciting!! Love this pic and it does resemble you..as I imagine you anyway..:)and also you look too cute in the checkered swing jacket! Totally swank!