February 5, 2006

mother

Mother
1921-2000
Pieces of Sand
October 2, 2000
Somehow small became giant
as I watched you grow frail-
the largeness of your courage
lifted my chin and straightened
my sagging shoulders.
I tried to hold on to you
as the sands of your hourglass
ran through my fingers-
I clamped tightly,
holding you near, holding you dear.
You met the night calmly.
Your night was mine.
How could I live with
our cord clipped?
Who am I if I am no longer
your daughter?
Then as life ebbed
out of your frail form,
I felt pieces of it
flowing into me.
Or were pieces of you
already there, not known
until the two of us
were near to becoming
only lonely
one?
She died two days later, in our home, with me in her bed, reading her scripture and stroking her beautiful face for the last time.

1 comment:

rauf said...

That is great Hattigrace, the picture size is big and the file size is under 100 KB thats great work. She looks very beautiful.

Your mom is just 2 years older than mine, I lost my mom in '91.
Mom was everything to me. I decided against going away to make my life abroad, decided never to marry and bring a daughter in law who could hurt her. but on my own I gave her enough trouble, I was te most disobedient of the three, I have 2 sisters most loving. Not a good brother too, I always keep nagging them. My giving up faith really broke her heart. In the end mom surprised me by saying perhaps you understand better. She took her last breath in my arms, i saw it going, it is still in my eyes.