February 4, 2006

tips

Every Saturday morning I treat myself to a coffee at Starbucks. While I would love to have one daily, I figured out the cost per decade for my non-caffeinated treat would be near to $10,000 and to have one weekly was only $1,820 per decade. I can justify that!

I really love the sugary versions with vanilla or caramel or chocolate. I was feeling a bit pudgy this morning, so decided on a sugarless cappucino. I pulled up to the window on this blue skied, breezy, crisp morning to be cheerfully greeted, "Here is your decaf venti cappucino non-fat and your total is $3.62." Ah, it was going to be a great morning!

As I grasped my change in the wind, I asked the girl where the tip jar was. "Someone stole it, so we keep the cup inside now." I widened my eyes in disbelief, gave her a dollar, and drove off into the day.

Tips. To insure proper service is the acronym, I think. Who the heck would steal Starbucks tips? Okay, I must admit I once thought it ludicrous and even crass they had a tip jar. I spouted off to some of my friends how ridiculously expensive their coffee was and what an insult to ask for a tip.

Then I began thinking about my own life. I am a hairstylist. I charge $50 for a haircut and style, which is a thirty minute service, complete with a wonderful shampoo, conditioner and head massage from my excellent assistant, Angel. Most clients tip me $5 and in addition tip Angel $1 to $5. I have a few amazingly generous clients that tip as much as $25! That unasked for extra is of course a boost to my income. But more, it is such a boost to my psyche. They make me feel like a million dollars, like I am of inestimable worth to them.

I rethought my begrudging attitude about Starbucks. Believing in the Law of Reciprocity, I decided that as I benefit from the generosity of my clients, I would pass on their cheerful giving. From that epiphany on, I have left a dollar for the coffee workers! It made me feel good, like I was planting seeds in a the garden of gratitude.

So today as I drove out to paint my "country estate", I began sipping my decaf venti cappucino non-fat. I had to admit it was a little bitter. As sugar is to coffee, so tips are to life.

Thank you to all who sweeten my days!

2 comments:

Buffy said...

Your lifetime estimates have made me seriously rethink my morning, lunch and sometimes dinner Starbucks. I think I'd rather have a rock! The shiny kind you wear on your hand. :)

Heidi Grether said...

:>) Rock on :>) !!!!!!