March 21, 2006

humiliation

Sometimes life can be very humiliating. Especially as a parent.

My daughter was two and a half. My sister was visiting from Texas. What else do you do on a Spring Break vacation but go to the beach?

We lived in Orlando at the time. I packed the trunkload of necessities, my daughter, sister and a friend to go to the New Smyrna Beach on Good Friday. As you may know, you actually park your car on the beach. The beach is really more of an expressway, with loungers lined up on the water. Not exactly a refreshing experience, sitting and breathing in exhaust fumes and being bombarded by too loud music from too cheap sound systems on too old cars driven by too young guys with even more too young girls hanging all over them.

Finding a place to park that time of year is like finding a spot to park at the Mall two days before Christmas.

"Ah, there's one!" We wheeled in, unloaded our chairs, sunscreen and water bottles. It was going to be a lovely afternoon. We had just settled in and were beginning to relax from the drive. . .

"Mommy. . . potty. . . Mommy. . ."

No, it couldn't be, I would lose our spot and have to start all over. "Baby, do you just have to pee? You can just wade into the water and sit."

(I know, that is so gross, but I was a young mother, so spare me the lectures!!)

Well, she waded in a tad and sat down. Relieved, I went back to my chair, just a foot away from her.

The next thing, OMG, I could not believe my eyes. How did a tiny child produce a log this huge???? What do you do with a floating turd? What was worse is that as the ocean water came in and then back out, it rolled to shore, then rolled out.

Back and forth it rolled. I stood, hypnotised by the rolling tide, I mean turd.

People were walking by, clearly repulsed at the sight. Next thing I knew, here comes another one! I wanted to find a shovel, not to bury the evidence, but to quickly dig my own grave as I was dying from mortification. But I did not have one, so how DID I get rid of the two huge tootsies?

You know, I don't remember what I did about them. I do know somehow they went away. My baby was real happy. . . My sister and friend laughed for days and weeks and years over the incident.

So as the saying goes, sh_t happens! You just have to roll with it!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahah that is tha best story do u tell it 2 her now?

Unknown said...

Wahey! Public humilation of our children - I can relate to this! I hope your daughter knows you told the world this :P

Anyway, if the Callentics is hurting it means you're doing it right ;-)

Keep it up everyday so be amazed.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Ta for the laugh HG. Brilliant stuff. Will see the turd..sorry, tide, in a whole new light from here on...

Must pop to the bathroom for a quick ebb 'n flow. Doesn't rhyme like Cockney but I'll have fun confusin' a few people.

Heidi Grether said...

Yes, I have told the story many times in front of her. She laughs right along with everyone. Hey, we all wore poopy pants at one time!

rauf said...

Yes its tension and embarasment at that moment, You feel that by some miracle you could disappear into thin air, but later when you think of it, its all hillarious

I was away Hattigrace, hope you and the family are doing fine

daringtowrite said...

Thanks for the laugh. And thank you, too, for the visit.

David Tellez said...

Ewww! Gross! Blech! It's like the beach version of "Caddyshack"! But still...it made me laugh out loud!

Gayzha said...

Can u imagine that i was munching with ripe banana while reading this and just suddenly choked! But a good one! Hey, thanks for your advise on fat reduction technique! How is it?

Heidi Grether said...

D wins with the best suggestion! The whole Callanetics thing is amazing. I know this sounds hokey, but after TWO workouts, my small sadlebags are nearly gone!

My clothes are more loose, my abs are tighter and my back does not hurt!

Wow! I may even be able to have a bite to eat at the wedding!

B.A. said...

I can't stop laughing. But more so I feel---better you then me!
Yes, the house on my blog is my old one, I just took pix of when I went back. the guy living there must have thought I was a nut bag cause I told him what I was doing. Oh, well, don't care, got the pix.
But back to the blog. I wonder the same things about my kids now (6),(2). How did that come from them! AHHH!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Funny story!

Jada's Gigi said...

Hilarious! Kids do provide some embarassing moments don't they? Glad your Callentics are working...maybe I'll give them a try. I definitly could stand to lose soem saddle baggage and tighten up those abs. :)

Jada's Gigi said...

Which Callentics DVD did you start with?

Buffy said...

This is so funny. Reminds me of a something that happened to my cousins.

They were 2, 4 and 4. Their parents decided to dump all three in the tub. Get 'em clean and keep 'em busy.

The sister (4yrs) and brother (2yrs) were busy up front playing with their bath toys and buckets. The cousin (4yrs) was sitting at the back being quiet and looking contemplative.

Fast forward five minutes and the two at the front start screaming and fighting each other over who climbs out first. They finally pile out and onto the floor. Frantic.

The little cousin still sits at the back. Still quiet. Still contemplative. Smiling. As her own 'log' floated around the tub.

It was so funny. They're all in their 20s today. And this story gets told to death.

thinkin said...

Oh, thanks for the laugh. And for checking up on me. I've been working around the clock... no time to write. Just brief seconds to look at my blog and wish that I could.

Funny you should mention the book BLINK- I'm on page 153 as we speak. Although that's on hold, too.

Any other recommendations... send 'em my way...

David Tellez said...

Hatti Grace, I was wondering if you had an email address. You keep writing such wonderful things about me that I have to write something to you, but I think a comment box is too informal. No?

Gardenia said...

I needed that laugh. Thanks.

Cherrypie said...

I'm amazed you didn't leave her there til nightfall and then go back and pick her up under the cover of darkness. What a dedicated Mum xx

Penrick said...

I would have looked to some nearby child and simply said "It's ok, things like this happen"