March 3, 2006

lost

I frequently can be seen stomping though my house, rummaging through stacks of stuff, banging dresser drawers open and shut, trying to find some misplaced necessity. Like sox, where do they go? Who would steal my sox? They certainly wouldn't fit my husband and unlike mischievous puppies, I seriously doubt Biscuit makes off with them.

Another disappearing act is spoons. There must be a spoon convention somewhere, because one at a time, they just leave our home!

These losses are an annoying nuisance. A few months ago, we had a heartwrenching loss.

Jen had come to visit with her sister and two friends. Jen is a beautiful girl, kind-hearted, humorous and loving. She has two delightful children, a boy, 8 and a girl , 4. I invited Jen and the others for a girl's weekend, as I wanted to do Jen's hair, and distract her from her painful loss.

Her beloved husband, age 34, had suddenly, unexpectedly had a heart attack and died a few months prior. I knew styling her hair would not fix her broken heart, but it is one thing I have to give. I wanted to express my deep empathy.

We had all gathered on my porch for some refreshments and were chatting away when Jen gasped, clutched her hand, stood and said with her voice shaking, "My diamond, the diamond fell out of my engagement ring. . . oh my God, Jimmy gave it to me. . ."

Forget hugging. What would that do? The four of us began scouring my driveway, the car they had driven here from Alabama, the house, couch, Jen's purse and suitcase, everything. I even got out a flashlight and we crawled on our hands and knees all around the car, especially the back, methodically searching, hoping the flashlight would reveal her lost treasure.

At one point, Leah whispered, "Hattigrace, look, could this be it?", her trembling hand cupping what we wanted to be the missing stone. It was a small glass bead.

I remembered a sermon about tokens and how God often gives something small as a token or promise of the real thing to come. I wish I had proclaimed my thoughts to the other girls, but I thought to myself, "If He could let us find this worthless glass bead, then surely He knows where the diamond is and will lead us to it."

Sounds good, huh? Like I was this great woman of faith. Ha. Not enough to speak it out to encourage the others.

My heart ached for Jen. She was sure God was mad at her, that was why she had suffered so many losses. She called her mother, who began asking for intercession from St. Anthony (thank you sista' Sara!)finder of lost objects. We kept looking.

Three and one-half hours later, we all gave up. Jen had cried herself out. We were exhausted, sweaty and discouraged. Again gathered on the porch, Jen looked at me and asked, "Well, Hattigrace, do you still want to do my hair?" I respected her so much for being willing to let it go and move on. And Leah had talked to her about praying and then giving it up to Him.

We all went into the house to gather our purses. I went out to the porch for something. Jen's sister was behind their car. She suddenly bounced up into the air, and with joy of joys shouted, "I found it!!" I really thought to myself for a millisecond she was cruel to kid with me.

She was not kidding. Where we had scoured for hours, the diamond suddenly was visible. The screams of rapturous happiness and gratitude rang through our neighborhood. I have never had bigger goosebumps in my life.

I finally hugged Jen. I finally cried. And she cried, big happy tears.

The glass bead was the token for the diamond. What is the diamond the token for? First given by Jimmy, now given by God. Jimmy pledged his life and love to his beloved Jen. How much more does God pledge to her?

Right now, I think Jen feels lost. I would too, most likely. But her Savior, Maker, Lord and Lover of her soul waits for her to bring her broken heart to Him . . . in Him, we are never lost. . .

10 comments:

Gayzha said...

hey, i am having some real goosebumps while reading this! i really believe, from experience, that God reveals his presence in so many simple ways in our lives and sometimes we just don't take notice of them. Well, as there is a time to be lost, there is a time to be found again! I just thought that Jen should still have a nice haircut/color/style after all the drama, to cap it all! Amen to that!

rauf said...

Your presence your words seem to give healing touch to the wounded Hattigrace. Its so good to know you.

Jada's Gigi said...

God is a merciful God...so surprising to us...why is that?
No in Him we can never be lost. He holds us and hides us in Himself and redeems all things. Lovely story,
Lord, Jen!

Gayzha said...

OMG!!! it's just so good to know someone who also loves Ayn Rand and her books. Well, I was introduced to this great author and her books when I was in college by a friend and from that time on, i just devoured all her works of art. Well "objectivity", who is John Galt?, etc... just blew me away, and I really thought that this ideas really moves the world.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Still followin' you HG. Still likin' you lots. Wish I had you're Karma....

Radical One said...

thanks for sharing your heart, hattigrace. you are such a giver and sweet heart shines through in the way you truly care for others.

may you be blessed!
lisa

David Tellez said...

Ok, so I had this long comment to post last Friday, but the darn thing got erased. And I didnt get around to typing it again, cuz I got so busy, so here's my cliff notes version:

I think it's really admirable what you did. True, styling hair cant bring back a loved one, but what it can do is bring back self-esteem. When you wear new shoes or a new outfit, you walk a little taller. And really, who doesnt wanna walk a little taller?

Your tale of loss and triumph reminds me of Elizabeth Bishop's poem, "The Art of Losing."

The art of losing isn't hard to master; so many things seem filled with the intent to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster of lost door keys, the hour badly spent. The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster: places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or next-to-last, of three loved houses went. The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster, some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent. I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.

And that's all from memory! LOL...I had to say in front of class, and because it had such an impact on me, I never forgot it.

The reason it reminds me of your friend is because she lost her diamond, something that was hard to do. But she accepted it's loss. She accepted the fact that token of love her husband gave her was forever gone, which must have been unbelievably hard.

I'm just glad she trusted in God enough, that he gave it back to her.

Heidi Grether said...

Thank you sista'!! Made the edit!Meant to ask you the other night, but you know us ADD's!! Now I need the saint for selling houses!

Hey, I guess the tutorial class was a success. Look at you, navigating around the bloggy world!! Proud of ya!!

Gardenia said...

my comment disappeared - anyway,here 'tis again. what a profound walk you took. Are you sure you didn't sneak away and truly sit in God's lap, with His arms around you, and He was stroking your hair......awesome walk!

Louisiana said...

thank you for loving your dear friend...i wish her and her kids my condonlence and my hugs and best wishes for the journey ahead...i'm so happy the diamond was found.