March 18, 2006

unfit

How did it happen? I came back from Europe in November. I had walked all over London and Paris. The sites and smells so intriguing, I just did not eat or drink that much.

I must have lost ten pounds. I felt and looked great.

At that high, or low, I was fitted for a bridesmaid dress for my assistant's wedding. Now, that is a story in itself that my assistant asked me to be an attendant in her wedding. I am fifty. She is twenty-one. She actually asked me to be her matron-of-honor. I later told her she should have another one of her friends, who she had grown very close to, to take that prestigious position in her wedding nuptials.

Today, I went for the fitting. The boned corset of the halter-necked dress shaped my figure into a beautiful hourglass. I felt rather diva-ish with my cleavage and soft flowing skirt. It was all working, with one exception.

I stood looking at my statuesque figure, breathless, because I could not breathe!! What had happened since November? Sure, there were a few weeks I didn't take my daily two mile walk. And, yes, I have had my share of cookies throughout the holidays. How had that blown my figure up so much that my dress did not allow me to take a full breath?

I have three weeks to catch my breath, lose five to ten pounds and return to my former svelte figure. What do I give up? If I was truly honoring Lent, this would not be a problem. Surely a big H is engraved into my forehead. Not for Hattigrace, but for Hypocrite. I do not fast well. I do not give up wine well.

Is my blown up figure a sign of my blown up self indulgence?

I sent my husband to Walmart for veggies, fruit and lowfat protein. Like it is his fault the dress is too tight. As I am unfit for A's dress, am I that unfit for Him?

14 comments:

David Tellez said...

Uh, hello?! Remember that month that comes after November? The month that's filled with the most delicious, mouth-watering treats, ever?! I'm of course talking about Christmas. Mmmmmm...that month is so evil to diets, I swear, because everything smells so good and taste even better...sigh. So it's not all your fault.

And if your looking for a quick way to shed some of those excess lbs, do what I did and get mono. I lost 20 pounds! Swear! It was the absolute best diet ever! But if your not one to get all sick, then may I suggest a diet of nothing but slushee's and popsicles. When I had a tonsilectomy, that's all I could eat and I lost 15 pounds. Wasnt as effective as mono, but still did a good job. Anyways, good luck!

Heidi Grether said...

dt

LOL :>) Hmmmm, these are some diet options Ihad not considered. To think I was going to to out and walk and sweat and deprive myself!!!

Unknown said...

Well cut out the cookies as they are easy to eat and contain nothing but calories!

For exercise I really recommend callanetics, if you've ever heard of it - it tightens what you have so much that if you do it right you can lose two dress sizes in *no* time. Trust me.

Unknown said...

Callanetics Get it!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Eat the cookies. Life's no fun without cookies. Just let 'em know if you start turnin' blue on the day to loosten the straps a bit....

Heidi Grether said...

Thank you D. I had never heard of Callanetics. I ordered the DVD immediately after reading the rave reviews. I'll let you know. I don't have a problem with cookies. My figure vice is too much evening wine followed by savory snacks and then off to bed!

Gayzha said...

This is definitely my problem too... i could not fit into my pants and my shirts that were ok a year ago... they say I have to go to the gym - but I am very lazy. I am just skipping lunch and even breakfast and just have my dinner - i think i have been sleeping too much that's why i am getting sooooo FAAAAAT! Let me know what will work for you pleasseeee.

K said...

Good luck with the slimming down! I think all things come a bit more naturally once spring is in the air--you just want to be outside and in skirts...

I'm sure you'll be beautiful at the wedding!

Jada's Gigi said...

I'm sure you'll whip yourself into shape in no time. What an honor to be asked to be in the wedding of such a young one. :) They are so often in their own world.
As for unfit for Him...not to worry...none is good but the Father so He has made a way for you.

Anonymous said...

hi hattie just eat 1/2 ur food even 1/2 cookie

B.A. said...

NEVER give up wine! Then you are no longer a true Gulf Coast Lady!
And never give up seafood (Peg Legs - hint, hint)

Heidi Grether said...

Hey Puppy,

Funny, that is exactly what I started yesterday. But no sweets for Lent.

Thanks!!!

Diane Viere said...

Nothing like a wedding......for motivation. But please remember....it's about the relationship. Your relationship with your bride/groom is so much more important...than, yes, even breathing! :) My daughter was just married last August...and I went through an anxiety driven shopping spree for just the right MOB dress. When the day arrived....the dress was the least important of my memories. My beautiful daughter...was happy...and joy-filled--not because my dress was perfect, but because we were all there...to celebrate her wedding day!

But, that said, I understand your dilemma! So do what has worked before (maybe another quick trip to Europe???)....and enjoy the celebration!

Diane

FOUR DINNERS said...

Never explained myself before so this is a first. Don't know how it'll go....

Fingers not meant to offend. Sign of anger. Told I'd mellow with age. Oops. Didn't. Angry at injustice. I'm a cargo agent at Heathrow Airport. Had a coffin in today. Baby girl. Died at birth. Never had a chance. Finger means I'm angry. That's all. Not sure why or who at. Just angry. Bloggin' chills me. Your blog helps sometimes. Dunno why. Just does. Hope that's ok. Finger'll stay 'til I'm not angry - 79?89?...I'm an angry old punk.

Hope you don't mind an angry old punk poppin' by now n then...

TYHG

(I'll be cheery again next stop...promise)