March 7, 2006

arms


I took a walk today. Had a talk with God. Our reading from Matthew (If you forgive men their transgressions,your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive men,neither will your Father forgive your transgressions. ) made me look at the condition of my heart.

Who did I hold hostage with unforgiveness? My ex-son-in-law (to be), my father, the insurance company and finally(gulp), my daughter for marrying the guy.

As I walked, I surveyed my own life. My newest ex-son-in-law is a tortured soul. He is not a believer, has no access to faith, had a rotten upbringing and a very skewed view of family and relationships. Who knows what I would have turned out to be with his start in life? How could I judge him? How could I hold him hostage to unforgiveness? How Christian was it of me to slander his character? I was able to release him and really pity his frantic, panickeded state.

My father was an atheist, a troubled man who grew up in a violently disfunctional home. I faulted him for his insecurities and fears which shaped his reactions to life. Like I was not guilty of the same? I walked, talked to God and with each step saw I was no better than he.

The insurance world is without vision, lost in protecting their investment, no access to the mercy of God, grasping to gain earthly riches. Each insurance representative I have spoken with is just a part of a system they did not create, trying to bring home their paycheck. They personally are most likely kind, caring people, with no control over the policies of the company they work for. How could I revile them?

My daughter was formed by my failings. She was patterned in the valley of my darkest days and the height of my greatest days. I instilled in her my worst and my best. I embodied many mixed messages. Why would I think she would surface unscathed? Her choices are hers. But whose journey has she followed? As flawed and failing as I am and have been, what were her chances to walk an untroubled life?

So, I was able to forgive all. From the bottom of my heart.

I was left with me. Me alone, before my Father. How many times have I come to Him, whining about my life, stained and toxic with my judgments? How could I see clearly when I only judged others and was blind to my own condition?

If I could climb up in the lap of my Father, have Him wrap His arms around me, rest my head on His chest, I realized all I would be able to say is,"Thank You, thank You, thank You, for all You have given me, for all You have provided me, for fifty years of Your faithful love and provision."

If I even began to say, "I am sorry for. . . . . ," I know He would say, "For what, because I see you through the forgiving fount of the spilt blood of My Son. I do not see your sins. I see you as my beloved daughter, the one who continuously comes to Me, loving Me, seeking Me. . "

I wept for my lack of trust in the One who has always provided for me and loved me. I continued my walk on this beautiful spring day. The Country Estate has not sold. The insurance money has not come in. My husband is not making money. I have deep debt from the wedding and a million bills (and too much shopping). My second business is in the baby stage. Nothing in this realm has changed.

Nothing but my heart. The heart newly attached to my Father. Safe in His loving arms.

It is now well with my soul. Safe and trusting in His loving arms.

7 comments:

Gayzha said...

... you are wonderful! rejoice and have peace in your heart and know that God provides for your every need. consider the flowers in your garden, isn't it that even the best Italian designers could not compare to their beauty and elegance - and yet the Father in heaven has provided them with the best color and beauty, and how about the birds in the sky?

so cast all your burdens to Him for he cares! God loves you and your family!

Jada's Gigi said...

Oh my sister...I am held together with you...safe in our Father's arms. "Lord, Hattigrace!"- my prayer for you

Gardenia said...

mmmm.......I think you have been in the lap of the Father.

David Tellez said...

Ms. HattiGrace. I am totally feeling you on this one. I'll admit, I kinda have a hard time forgiving. I mean, yeah, I'm capable of forgiving people, but sometimes there's those people that make you say, "WHY, GOD?! WHY?!" You know which one's I'm talkin' about? The one's that you swear are the spawn of Satan, because there is just no explanation for their evilness. Yeah. I'm still kinda working on that area in my life. I know, I know...give it all to God, forgive seventy times seven and life will be a bowl of cherries, but it's so hard. And I know when you forgive you feel better inside, cuz holding a grudge just eats you alive, but, like I said, it's just so hard, you know? However, after reading your post, I think I might try a little harder. I think I might just have to have that long talk with God...

Heidi Grether said...

d.t.
He will be there, pouring out grace and mercy.

What helped me is seeing my unforgiveness is usually based in judgement - that I would NEVER do what they had done.

What helped free me from the stranglehold of unforgiveness is admitting to God that if I had walked in their shoes, I might have done WORSE. And, looking at my own wake of agony from all my stupid, mean, ugly moments.

He'll be there for you.

Louisiana said...

this is wonderful, i write this through tear filled eyes, i needed to read your post right now-thank you.

SoulPony said...

I commented on the wrong post. So here again. just emailed this to someone before I started to read your blog. It fits how I feel about reading your arm's post. I like your blog alot but it's not hard to see that you think that your's is the only way. Maybe those who you wish to bring to God are already closer to him than you think. This is the email:

Funny how most people (in general) feel the most up when they have someone to look down on. It seems sometimes that acceptance is a dirty word. It would be hard to imagine living in a world where acceptance isn't accepted if we didn't live there everyday. I have this taped to my computer screen where I can see it all day:

Everything is as it is. It has no name other than the name we give it. It is we who call it something; we give it a value. We say this thing is good or it's bad, but in itself, the thing is only as it is. It's not absolute; it's just as it is. People are just as they are.

-Ajahn Sumedho,
"The Mind and the Way"

June 01, 2006 11:50 AM