September 30, 2007

fifty-eleven


Tomorrow is TT's birthday. But we celebrated today. Fourteen around my mother's beautiful table. It was a happy squish.

I made him his favorite, City Chicken. Family recipe from his mom. Actually beef and pork cubes on a skewer, seasoned with salt and pepper, dipped in egg and milk, rolled in saltine cracker crumbs, re-dipped and rerolled, browned in a skillet, then baked in a casserole at 325 for about three hours. You put about a half inch of water in the pan and cover with foil before putting in oven.

All the men at the table LOVED them! Dot made excellent mashed potatoes and gravy. Michelle made a fabby salad. Desert looked tragic, but was a hit. Peanut Butter Three Layer Cake with Reece's Peanut Butter Cups crushed for a filling over the peanut butter icing, between all the layers. (The tragedy was the top of the cake split into thirds!) That with Vanilla Ice Cream on the side.

Wonder why I have a sugar headache now?!!

My special gift to him, besides the meal, was a family membership to the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) at the national and local level. The main reason I did a family membership is so TT can take god-son (that's him with TT) to the meetings. EAA does a mentoring program where they work with young boys/men to interest them in becoming pilots. Eventually, god-son will get to go up in one of the planes!!!!

I love my Dot. She is flesh of my flesh and heart of my heart. And, I love our extended family. They are all Christians. The children add so much joy to our lives. Remember how scared I was about accepting this role of god-mother? I got over that!

It's all about being family and making family time top priority.

That's what TT asked for his birthday.

11 comments:

garynewtown said...

thanks for your comment and may I add you look fab for 40-11 lol.

I havent managed to update my blog as much as I would like but hope to get back into it .

see you again
love G

Furtheron said...

I'm with TT - I'll be thirty-fifteen on Wednesday. We had a meal with my brother and his family on Saturday, small just us tea on Sunday (v. rare treat) and Wednesday we're all off to a Mexican place we like.

Having my family with me and wanting to be with me and laughing is all I really need to make the day special.

Anonymous said...

all the piccys r red x :o(
happy bday 2 tt tho

Gardenia said...

Aw, this is a sweet post! I love times with family (even though sometimes it can get a wee bit stressed). Anyway, happy birthday to TT - and I'm so glad you enjoy those God-kids, and your beautiful daughter. The membership sounded like a fabulous gift! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one the succumbed to sugar this weekend!

Admin said...

Thank you for sharing your family time and special day. Those are great memory-making times.

Anonymous said...

The membership is a lovley gift and so is the family time :0)

Happy Birthday TT.

This is such a happy post :0

Gardenia said...

PS - how is Isabella?

Jada's Gigi said...

Sounds positively yummy! Happy B Day to TT!

Mary Marvella said...

Bet you didn't know I still check your blog occasionally. Your style and voice sing. Great job.

I've joined a group blog and am trying to keep my Myspace blog a little more current.

the group is
www.Pinkfuzzyslipperwriters.blogspot.com


Mary Marvella (Barfield)

Biddie said...

Well, I am a little late, but I have been busy. I hope that TT had a wonderful birthday. There is nothing better as far as I am concerned - then spending the day with family.
My kids have the best Godmother ever, and she is huge part of our lives. I hope that she knows it.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Shit!!!! How'd I miss this post???

Soz TT. Belated happy birthday mate. Hope you had a cracker!